I bring a hands-on strategy to my courses that integrates digital media and real-world projects.
Partnering with community organizations
In the Introduction to Public Relations and Strategic Writing courses I teach at Bridgewater State University, students work in teams in both face-to-face and online courses to develop communications materials for a community organization partner.
- Students have partnered with the following organizations:
- Special Olympics of Massachusetts
- YMCA Southcoast
- Mass Audubon
- Southshore YMCA
- Lupus Foundation
- Horizons for Homeless Children
- Young Achievers Science and Math Pilot School
- BSU Food Bank
- Boston Nature Center
- Ascend Nightclub
- Community Boat Building
- Stronghold Operations
- Gifts to Give
- Brianna’s Breakfast
- Colleges Against Cancer
- BSU Noteworthy Acapella
- The Comment newspaper
- Rhode Island Children’s Golf Course
- Boys and Girls Club of New Bedford/Wareham
- Brockton Area Multi-Services (BAMSI)
- BSU GLBTA Pride Center
- BSU Writing Studio
- New Bedford Barber Company
- Bridgewater Police Department 5K
- Dean Dash at Dean College
- Old Colony YMCA
- BSU Transit
- BSU Program Council
- Students create news releases, fact sheets, public service announcements, web site content, social media plans, brochures, ads, and fundraising letters. See examples here.
Writing for the web
In the Technical Communications course I taught at UMass Dartmouth, students worked on the iFixit project, writing manuals and guides for repairing electronic devices. They wrote directly on the iFixit manuals website and submitted their work to an external client.
To give my Newswriting I and II students at Suffolk exposure to digital publishing, I created the Suffolk Scoop, a web-based student newspaper built on a WordPress platform. Students saw the immediate and visual results of their reporting, experienced the thrill of having published bylines, gained important online news reporting skills, and shared their work across social media sites. They also had the opportunity to supplement writing with video and photography and learned to take a multi-dimensional approach to story-telling.