Award-winning editor and writer experienced in producing magazines, journals, web sites, books, and marketing collateral. College professor with experience teaching face-to-face and online courses in writing and communications at the graduate and undergraduate level. Self-directed and entrepreneurial with a pioneering, quality-focused work ethic that consistently leads to best-in-class results.
Full-time Instructor, Dept. of Communications Studies
Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater, MA 9/16 – present
Introduction to Public Relations, Communication Research & Writing, Strategic Writing
Faculty advisor: The Comment student newspaper
Instructor, Summerfuel—international summer college prep program
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 7/16 – 8/16
Journalism & Social Media
Adjunct Faculty, English Department
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, MA 9/14 – 5/16
Adjunct Faculty, Communications & Journalism Department
Suffolk University, Boston, MA 9/06–5/09
Newswriting I, Newswriting II, Magazine Article Writing, Feature Writing
Adjunct Faculty, Science Division
Bristol Community College, Star Store Campus, New Bedford, MA 1/05 — 5/05
Introduction to Physical Geology
Marketing Manager, Writer/Editor
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, MA 9/14 – 5/19
Wrote and edited marketing communications copy for office of University Marketing; supervised communications specialist and assistant manager; served as editor of UMASSD Magazine.
Director of MassHealth Publications
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Quincy, MA 3/13 – 9/14
Managed 18-member Publications Unit providing editorial, graphic design, and regulatory support to all MassHealth business units. Supervised editors, web and graphic designers, a business manager, and assistant director.
Self-employed, 8/11 – 3/13
Built on 15 years of freelance experience, consulting business provided writing and editorial services for print and digital communications. View selected clients here.
Director of Communications/Magazine Editor
University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 1/11 — 7/11
Served as editor of the biannual arts&sciences magazine; wrote and produced marketing, development, and website content for the College of Arts and Sciences.
Director of Communications/Editor-in-Chief
Suffolk University, Boston, MA 6/06 — 12/10
—Launched Suffolk Arts+Sciences magazine; selected photographers, writers, artists, and vendors; collaborated with creative director; edited submissions; managed magazine content across web pages, blog, digital editions (nxtbook, issuu.com), twitter, and facebook; magazine won 20 national editorial and design awards.
—Developed marketing plans; managed budgets; managed College of Arts & Sciences communications staff of five; wrote news stories; maintained web site and social media.
Publications Manager; Senior Writer/Editor; Writer/Editor
Brown University, Providence, RI 12/01 — 3/06
Wrote and edited content for web site, magazines, trade publications, educators and policy makers; received two promotions; supervised 7-member publications team, including five writer/editors, two designers, and freelancers.
- Certificates in Blended Learning, and Online Teaching and Learning Strategies, UMass Dartmouth
- Graduate Certificate, Publishing, Emerson College, Boston, MA
- Master of Science, Environmental Studies & Communications, Antioch University, Keene, NH
- Study Abroad, Schumacher College International Centre for Ecological Studies, Devon, England
- Bachelor of Arts, Environmental Studies/Minor in Writing & Literature, Naropa University, Boulder, CO
- Continuing Education, English, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Journalism, Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus, Brookville, NY
Received nearly 20 national editorial and design awards for Suffolk Arts+Sciences magazine:
- FOLIO : Gold EDDIE (Editorial) 2008, 2009, 2010; Silver, 2010; Bronze, 2010; Silver OZZIE (Design), 2009; Bronze 2008
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Bronze Award, 2009
- Society of National Association Publications (SNAP) Bronze EXCEL 2009; Gold EXCEL, 2008; EXCEL EXTRA! 2008
- Association of Educational Publishers (AEP) Beacon Award, 2009; Distinguished Achievement Award, 2009
- Association Trends, Gold, 2010
- Apex Award of Excellence, 2008
- Graphic Design USA American Graphic Design Award, 2009; 2010
- Media Industry Newsletter (min) Awards, 2010: Winner–Freelance category, Seth Sirbaugh Creative Director; Honorable Mention, Magazine Design/Single Issue.
Nxtbook Media/University Business webinar panelist:
—”Digital Viewbooks, Alumni Magazines and More,” 2010
—”Going Digital with Your Publications,” 2011
—”Freed from the Digital Divide,” 2012
—Society for National Association Publications, 2009
—Folio Awards, 2010
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
Computer skills: Mac and PC; Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Cloud; QuarkXPress; WordPress, Tumblr; content management systems